How we inspect
Our inspections of healthcare services may be announced or unannounced.
We look at how services:
- Comply with regulations
- Meet healthcare standards
- Meet other legislation, professional standards and guidance as applicable.
We use the regulations and standards to make judgements about the quality, safety and effectiveness of healthcare services.
What happens after our inspections?
After our inspections we will:
- Write an inspection report and publish it on our website
- Require services to make improvements where necessary
- Decide if we need to take further action to follow-up on issues identified during an inspection
- Continually monitor all the information we hold about a service, from our inspections, the public, healthcare staff, healthcare services and other organisations and decide what action we need to take
How we report
We report and publish our findings from our inspections under three themes:
- Quality of the patient experience: We speak to people about their experiences of care
- Delivery of safe and effective care: We look at how services provide high quality, safe and reliable care for patients
- Quality of Management and leadership: We look at how services are managed and led and how they check their own performance against relevant regulations, standards and guidance.