Registering as private dental practice or private direct access practice

All private dental practices and private direct access practices must be registered with us as legally required by Private Dentistry (Wales) Regulations 2017.

Registering as a private dentist

Any dentists seeking to provide private dentistry for the first time and are working at a practice not yet registered will need to submit an application to register as an individual dentist under the 2008 regulations The legal requirements of the Private Dentistry Regulations 2008 and the Private Dentistry (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 must be met before and during registration.

Registering as an Independent Healthcare Provider

Independent Hospitals are:

  • non NHS hospitals that provide medical or psychiatric treatment for illness or mental disorder
  • hospices that provide palliative care
  • any Establishment (other than NHS hospitals) that provide any listed service
  • any other Establishments in which treatment or nursing care is provided for those detained under the Mental Health Act 1983.

Independent Clinics are:

  • an Establishment where non NHS services of any kind are provided by medical practitioners.

Independent Medical Agencies are:

  • a service that is provided by medical practitioners that include private 'call out' services and travel and flu vaccines.

The legal requirement of the Care Standards Act 2000, the Independent Health Care (Wales) Regulations 2011 and the National Minimum Standards for Independent Healthcare Services in Wales must be met before and during your registration.

Last updated: 25 Sep 2017