This report has been prepared jointly by the Auditor General for Wales and Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW) and is presented to the National Assembly under the Government of Wales Act 1998.
Last year Healthcare Inspectorate Wales and the Wales Audit Office reported jointly on the governance arrangements at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (the Health Board).
Our report made 24 recommendations aimed at addressing a number of fundamental concerns around:
- the effectiveness of the Board;
- the organisation’s management and clinical leadership structures;
- quality and safety governance arrangements;
- the Health Board’s ability to manage its finances and secure financial sustainability; and
- the development of strategic plans for the modernisation and reconfiguration of clinical services across North Wales.
Twelve months have passed since the publication of that review, and our organisations have recently completed a high-level review of the progress that has been made by the Health Board in addressing the substantive areas of concern we identified.
The findings from our follow-up work are presented in this document in the form of a commentary against each of the 24 recommendations we previously made.