We inspect independent mental health services in Wales to check people are receiving good care.
How we inspect
We look at how services:
- Meet the National Minimum Standards for Independent Health Care Services in Wales
- Comply with the Care Standards Act 2000
- Comply with the Independent Health Care (Wales) Regulations 2011
- Comply with the Mental Health Act 1983, Mental Capacity Act 2005 and implementation of Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Meet any other relevant professional standards and guidance where applicable
Mental health inspections are usually unannounced. This allows us to see services in the way they usually operate. The service does not receive any advance warning of an unannounced inspection.
Our inspections are carried out by at least one HIW inspector, external reviewer (with relevant professional experience) and voluntary lay reviewer (to speak to patients about their experiences of care).
The following document provides guidance about what we will look at during an inspection. If you would like a copy of our inspection workbook please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Published392 KB- pdf