HIW have launched a national review of maternity services across Wales. The review will run from June 2019 to summer 2020 when we will publish an all-Wales report.
This page will be updated regularly with information and findings from our review as our work progresses.
This review is a nationally important piece of work exploring the quality and safety of maternity services in Wales. Our decision to undertake this review was based on a number of concerns relating to the pressures around maternity services in Wales, including the concerns in Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board maternity services highlighted by HIW in our maternity inspection in Royal Glamorgan Hospital in October 2018 and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and Royal College of Midwives in April 2019.
Our national review will explore:
- The experiences of women, their partners and families.
It will also explore the extent to which health boards across Wales:
- Provide safe and effective maternity services
- Understand the strengths and areas for improvement within their maternity services.
Do you work within maternity services in Wales?
We want to capture the views of multi-disciplinary staff working in maternity services. Please fill in our survey:
Inspections of maternity services
As part of our review, between June to December 2019, we will be carrying out a programme of unannounced inspections of maternity services across Wales.
Each inspection will have its own inspection report which will be published three months following the date of inspection.
This page will include links to all maternity inspection reports as soon they become available.
- June 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Singleton Hospital, Sketty
- July 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergavenny
- August 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr, Ystrad Mynach
- September 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport
- September 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Royal Glamorgan Hospital
- September 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, Rhyl
- September 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Princess of Wales, Bridgend
- October 2019 – Hospital Inspection: Maternity Services – Glangwili General Hospital, Carmarthen
Our terms of reference for the review can be found below.
- Published74 KB- pdf