Read the findings from our programme of hospital inspections during 2015-16.
In 2015-15 we continued our programme of NHS hospital inspections and visited 44 NHS wards across a wide range of departments.
What we found
- Majority of patients were positive about their experiences of services they had received
- Patients were positive about staff attitudes and support
- Evidence of strong multidisciplinary team work that has a beneficial effect on patient care and treatment
- The standard of medicines management needs to be improved across all health boards so that patients receive the right medicines, the right dose at the right time
- The quality of recording with patient care records needs to be improve so that patient records are clear to staff that they may be unfamiliar with the patients and clinical area
- Infection prevention and control procedures needs to be adhered to by all members of multidisciplinary ward teams
Following our inspections recommendations have been made to the health boards and we will be undertaking further follow-up activity to ensure health boards are being vigilant in addressing these matters and taking necessary action to ensure that patients are receiving safe, effective, person centred care.